Learning, Achieving, Succeeding!
November 26, 2022

Learning, Achieving, Succeeding!

November 26, 2022
falcon

History

South High School

South High School opened approximately two months after North High School–on December 19, 1955. Since the building was not completed for a September opening, its 850 students and approximately 45 teachers remained at Central High School through December, on a split session basis. First principal of South was J. James Bergen (1955-77), who had worked at Central since 1933 as a language teacher and then assistant principal, also enjoying his role as a part-time scout for the N.Y. Yankees and Boston Red Sox baseball teams. Subsequent principals have been Dr. Steven R. Goldberg (1977-84), who later served as Business Administrator of the high school district (1984-95) and Assistant to the Superintendent for Administrative Services & Personnel (1995-97); Ms. Christine J. Cutting (1984-98), who started at South in 1966 as a science teacher; Dr. Stephen C. Lando and Maureen Henry.