8413 TRANSPORTATION FOR NONPUBLIC SCHOOL STUDENTS
Transportation will be provided to resident students who attend nonpublic schools in accordance with the law and Board policy. Written transportation requests for students attending nonpublic schools must be postmarked by the District no later than the April 1st preceding the beginning of the next school year. If a student moves into the District later than April 1st, the written request should be received within thirty days of establishing residence in the District.
All late requests that do not incur an additional cost to the District may be granted by the Superintendent or his/her designee. Said requests will be reported to the Board of Education monthly
All late requests incurring an additional cost to the District shall be considered by the Board of Education on the basis of each case’s merits.
The School District shall provide transportation for students attending nonpublic schools not more than fifteen miles from their residence. Where the School District provides transportation for one or more students who reside within 15 miles of the nonpublic school, the District shall provide transportation for those students who reside more than 15 miles from the same non-public school, by designating one or more of the District’s public schools as a centralized pickup point for those students who live too far from such nonpublic schools to qualify for transportation from home to school. The District is not responsible for providing transportation for students between their home and the centralized pickup point. The School District shall not provide transportation from a centralized pickup point for pupils residing within the District to a nonpublic school located more than 15 miles from the home of any such pupil unless the School District is already providing transportation to that same nonpublic school for other students who reside within 15 miles of that nonpublic school, regardless of whether the School District has provided transportation to that nonpublic school at any time during the immediately preceding three school years.
Transportation by Public and/or Private Carrier:
- Students attending nonpublic schools in grades 9 through 12 who are eligible to receive transportation shall be transporte d via public carrier provided the duration of their trip from home to school is estimated to be less than or equal to ninety (90) minutes and it is expected that there will be only one (1) transfer between public carriers during the trip. Such students shall be transported via private carrier in the event that the trip from home to school via public carrier is estimated to exceed ninety (90) minutes or is expected to require more than one (1) transfer between public carriers during the trips.
- Notwithstanding the criteria of paragraph “1”, all students eligible to receive transportation attending a nonpublic school with an enrollment of at least 20 eligible students shall be transported via private carrier.
- Students transported via private carrier shall be required to walk to pickup locations as determined by the District provided that no students shall be required to walk a distance greater than the minimum legal distance for transportation
- Students attending grades 7 and 8 who are eligible for transportation shall have such transportation provided via private carrier
- The Superintendent or his/her designee shall determine the students eligible for transportation via public or private carrier based upon the estimated trip durations, the expected number of trip transfers and eligible student enrollment in nonpublic schools on or before June 30 of the school year preceding the provision of transportation. The private and/or public carriers utilized by the district shall be determined pursuant to district policy.
Appeal of Boyle, 31 EDR 208 (1991)
Matter of Ward, 29 EDR 153 (1989)
Matter of Alletto, 25 EDR 14 (1985)
Adoption date: January 15, 2002
Revised: January 11, 2011
Revised: July 9, 2013
Revised: July 14, 2015