Dear Valley Stream Community,
This message is a follow up to the one you received this morning regarding an Internet threat directed at the District.
The Nassau County Police Department continues to investigate this incident in collaboration with the District. There has been no additional information disclosed that would indicate that there is a current credible threat. The case remains open. Anyone with information is encouraged to contact the district and/or NCPD. Please see their alert here.
As the police continue to investigate this matter, the following measures have been put in place to ensure everyone’s safety.
- All afterschool activities will be cancelled today Tuesday October 25, 2022.
- Our buildings will open tomorrow morning with a Lockout Procedure in effect.
- Students have been instructed to leave all bags at home to speed entrance to our buildings. This includes laptop bags. Please have your child or children bring their device only.
- North and South High School students will again remain in the building for lunch periods.
- Increased exterior security patrols will remain in effect.
- Intensive patrol visits by NCPD patrol and specialty units will continue.
The District is aware that these types of threats are of great concern to parents and students in our District. Please know they are extremely troubling to us, and we take any threat, of any kind, very seriously.
We are working closely with law enforcement to determine who is responsible for these threats, and to determine what, if any, additional security measures the District might take.
The safety and security of our students, staff and all who visit our schools is our first priority and we will take whatever measures are necessary to ensure all in our community feel safe in our schools.
A follow up email will be sent tomorrow morning updating our community and providing a plan for the status of afternoon events.
Thank you for your support and in helping keep our schools and community safe!
Wayne R. Loper, Ed.D.
Superintendent of Schools