Valley Stream, NY (December 2021)—The Valley Stream Central High School District offers a robust and rigorous academic program, which includes AP courses that may lead to students receiving AP Scholar designations with an AP Capstone Diploma. On November 9, Valley Stream’s Central, North and South high schools held assemblies to honor those in their buildings who earned the designation of AP Scholar by the College Board. These exceptional students were recognized for their scores on Advanced Placement exams.
“These students earning their AP Scholar distinctions are a credit to our District, and their achievements are a testament to the variety of opportunities the District continues to provide to our students, encouraging them to push themselves academically and earn college credit while in high school,” said Dr. Wayne Loper, Acting Superintendent of Valley Stream Central High School District. “These 354 students—as well as their AP teachers—have worked diligently throughout the school year, and we are so proud to congratulate them all on their well-earned recognition.”
There are three levels of AP Scholar Awards:
● AP Scholar – granted to students who receive a score of 3 or higher on three
or more AP exams.
● AP Scholar with Honor – granted to students scoring an average of at least 3.25 on all AP exams taken and 3 or higher on four or more of these exams.
● AP Scholar with Distinction – granted to students receiving an average score of at least 3.5 on all AP exams taken, and a score of 3 or higher on five or more of these exams.
In addition to the three Scholar Awards, students enrolled in the District’s AP Capstone Program are eligible to earn two additional AP awards:
● AP Seminar and Research Certificate, granted to students who earn scores of 3 or higher in both AP Seminar and AP Research.
● AP Capstone Diploma, granted to students who earn scores of 3 or higher in AP Seminar and AP Research and on 4 additional AP Exams of their choosing.
Across Central, North and South high schools, 183 students earned the AP Scholar Award, 72 students earned the AP Scholar Award with Honor, and 99 students were granted the AP Scholar with Distinction Award. Additionally, 47 students in the three high schools earned either the prestigious AP Capstone Diploma Award or the AP Seminar and Research Certificate.
Building administration, teachers, family and friends of the honored students were also in attendance at each assembly to show their support for these outstanding young men and women who serve as role models for the entire Valley Stream community.
For more information about the Valley Stream Central High School District, please visit: https://www.vschsd.org and ‘like’ our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/ValleyStreamCentralHighSchoolDistrict